February 13, 2014

Progress & Crossfit

I started my crossfit journey ONE MONTH ago today and I think it was one of the better decisions I've made in my life.


Check out www.crossfitlanghorne.com for more info on their classes and opportunities! 


Let me just try and think back to my first on ramp class.  I walked up and I was extremely nervous.  I have never been overly outgoing but I knew I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone.  I walked in the door and I see Justin Derry.  I instantly felt more comfortable.  And then I saw Nick Horn which made me feel awkward since his brother has been my best friend for upwards of 6 years.  Overall I felt a lot of crazy things in the first few minutes and at one point I even felt like turning around and leaving, but I didn't.

The first day, I didn't have the coordination to do a burpee, I could not execute a push up, I could not execute a pull-up even with bands, I could not even get parallel with my squats.  I was beyond sore and  honestly I try to think back to on-ramp often to really understand the accomplishments I made.

Yesterday I did a deadlift of 95#.  The first time we practiced deadlifts in our on-ramp class, I maybe did 35#.  WHAT!  Helllooo, making GAINS.

Anyway, I guess my point in discussing this is mostly that if you are looking for a fitness program that is not routine and it's NOT walking on a treadmill everyday then crossfit might be an option.  Everyday you will amaze yourself with your accomplishments.  They start out really small but at one point you'll see things just improve in huge leaps.

In all honesty it's completely changed my view about weightless as well.  YES, I would like to lose 30 pounds but I've come to terms that it's NOT going to happen in ONE month.  If it did, I should probably be concerned and see a doctor.  I'm spending time building strength into my muscle and the fat will eventually go.  I generally eat clean and sometimes allow myself a cheat meal/day.

So far, I've lost a total of 13 pounds since jumpstarting my healthy lifestyle through AdvoCare and crossfit.  And if you don't think 13 pounds of fat is a lot, I will share a picture of what ONE pound of fat looks like.


And that also means on average I've lost one pound a week while building strength in my muscles and I honestly think that's amazing.

Getting healthy isn't always about the scale and every person is different.  For me, it's eating clean at about an 85:15 ratio.  I stand up straighter.  I feel better about myself in general.  I am gaining a lot of self-confidence.  I'm getting smaller and losing weight, even if it is not at lightening speed.  If it was EASY and only took ONE month then gyms would be out of business, right?  Getting fit is a lifestyle change and it takes hard work and dedication.

I don't want William to grow up with a Mom who hates the way she looks and obsesses over weight loss.  I want William to be surrounded by a Mom who is HEALTHY and HAPPY and who likes to EMPOWER others to feel better about themselves.

I can't thank my lucky stars and whoever is looking over me for bringing Cheri, AdvoCare, the amazing team evolve, and crossfit into my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment