May 29, 2014

Step One: Make-Up

Hello friends!  Long time no blog, am I right?  Geez.  I really found myself completely un-motivated to write.. well type.  I have plenty of journal entries that I hand wrote but they never made their way to my blog.  So if you haven't heard the news, Brandon and I are moving into our own apartment.  We've lived together for awhile so I don't want to say we are moving in together for the first time but, it is the first time that we have paid for it ourselves!  Talk about exciting and also scary.  I always hear the saying, "if you wait till you have enough, you'll wait forever".  I think it's definitely time we just take the plunge and get out of my parents hair.  (RIGHT MOM?)

As I'm planning and beginning to pack, I've realized how much STUFF I have.  Like, it's ridiculous.  I don't use it or even need it all really.  I want to slim down my possessions before we move.  I'm planning on donating or trying to sell some things.  The reason for this post today is because I did something I never thought I would do, ever.  I completely purged my make-up collection.

My make-up loving friends might cringe at the thought and if you know me, you know I hoard pretty make-up.  Over my years at Coastal, my make-up collection grew out of control because I'd spend my Sunday's raiding the CVS sales.  My roommate at the time, Nick, used to bust me about it all the time.  I'm glad I'm becoming more practical about my belongings because I was just a mess spending on things I absolutely DID NOT need.  I was absolutely NOT using them either.

I have a desk in my bedroom that serves as my vanity.  It's an old computer desk that has lived in my room for years and wasn't being used.  So I thought -AWESOME.  I can make my own vanity but the problem was that I had too much make-up to really make the desk functional and every so often I'd come home with a bag full of goodies that I never used.

I found myself with six tubes of foundation and a bottle of BB Cream.  I only used one bottle of foundation on a regular basis and use my BB Cream on any day I didn't feel like putting on foundation.  So, bye bye to the other 5 foundations.  They were getting old and smelly anyway.  I found myself with tons of eye shadow that was going to waste.  I narrowed myself down to FOUR palettes that I use in a regular rotation.  The Lorac Pro (pretty much my every day), Too Faced Natural Eye, Nyx Naturals, and Walking on Eggshells by Wet'N'Wild.  They are all neutrals that I just LOVE.  I got rid of a bunch of other eye shadows that I never used because I prefer the ones I mentioned above.  Blush - I got rid of one but I really only had a couple from E.L.F. and a cream blush I use a lot in the summer months.

I narrowed my mascaras down to TWO.  It wasn't as hard as I thought because I was just open and honest with myself.  Those were the only two I used.  Why keep a basket full of mascaras that are un-used and will need to be thrown out anyway because they will wind up going bad.  The two that made the cut are CoverGirl Lash Blast in the black and orange tube and my Laura Geller GLAM LASH.  (OBSESSED).  I kept my pixi concealer in the salmon tone because my dark circles are monstrous these days.  William hasn't figured out what sleeping through the night is yet (Ugh!).  I kept my two laura geller face powders to set my foundation.  One is my actual skin tone and one is a light matte bronzer just in case I do get a little tan or decide to fake bake.

My lipstick collection was ABSOLUTELY unmanageable.  It took up three small buckets from target as well as a fish bowl.  I cringe when I think about how many lipsticks I had going unused.  I slimmed my collection down to 21.  That still may seem like a lot to some of you, but I had almost 70 lip products.  In the next six months if I don't use a color - I'm tossing it.  I also tossed a few brushes that weren't getting any use, EVER.  They just sat there - not even looking pretty.

My next project is my wardrobe.  I've already sorted through all of William's that are too small.  Packed them into a box and plan of giving them to a friend who is having a little boy as well.  I feel like a jerk but Will didn't even get to wear everything - our friends and family are too giving!  So thankful for that.

Has anyone found themselves staring at their FULL closet or dresser and saying, "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR".  Yes?  Well I do, almost every day.  I have recently discovered an obsession in reading about people who have adapted a minimalist lifestyle.  Now, I don't think I'm ready to take on that adventure.  But I can take it on in baby steps that can streamline my life.  (Like having a SMALLER make-up collection).  It takes the guesswork out of things.  Over the next year or so I plan on purging my wardrobe to build a professional and well put together one.  And in this instance, no I'm not just going to throw everything in my closet away and just start again.  But, I am going to go through and be open with myself about why I'm keep an item of clothing.  WHY are  you keeping that old t-shirt you never wear - not even to work out???

My basic guideline is going to be the "Five Piece French Wardrobe Method".  I'm planning on customizing it suit my lifestyle BUT this checklist (pictured below) is what I'm going to piggy back off of as I spend the next a few years really building a great foundation of basics for my wardrobe.  A brief overview of what that method is, you build a basic wardrobe and each season -- SPRING/SUMMER AND FALL/WINTER -- so about every 6 months you buy five new pieces that will add personality to wardrobe.  Basics are always allowed.  But when looking for your 5 pieces, stress quality over quantity.


*I stole this picture and am just using it for inspiration*


But like I said, that's my next adventure.

I unfortunately did not take a picture of my desk/vanity before I purged it because I didn't think I'd write a blog about it.  It was kind of embarrassing how much make-up I actually had so maybe it's best you don't see.
*I'M NOT A BEAUTY GURU.  I must remind myself after watching 15 beauty videos on youtube*



(Not pictured is my Lorac Pro and my brushes)


I feel really excited about these changes I have planned.  I spent time writing and mapping out the steps to take in my personal journal.  I passionately believe that this will only aide in my journey to a healthy body, mind, and soul.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment